It’s been five years since Shelby American launched the 600 horse power GT500 Super Snake and the subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. announced a new groundbreaking version for the 2013 model year.
As if the 662 tire-shredding horse power of 2013 factory standard GT500 wasn’t enough, Shelby American decided to take things another step further, offering an incredible 850 horse power Super Snake.
“When Ford launched the 2013 Shelby GT500, we were bombarded with requests for Shelby American to offer a Super Snake package for the car,” explained John Luft, president of Shelby American. “Our team worked closely with Ford Racing and other key partners to develop our new fire breathing snake. The result is the most powerful base model Super Snake ever at 662 horsepower, which is available at prices lower than previous models. By checking off a few boxes in the series of optional equipment, you can take home a street-legal 850 horsepower version that runs on pump gas.”
“The Shelby GT500 Super Snake has been the big dog of the Shelby American lineup,” added Shelby American Vice President of Production Gary Davis. “With Ford’s new 2013 Shelby GT500 having 662 hp right out of the box, along with our new wide body putting 14 inches of rubber on the ground, this car will be a game changer when it comes to power to the pavement performance.”
According to official statements, the Shelby GT500 Super Snake is a post-title program based on the Ford Shelby GT500 and the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake post title package includes the following:
– Standard base tune is 662 HP and 631 ft./lbs. of torque;
– 6-speed manual transmission with 3.31:1 rear axle ratio and short-throw shifter with optional 3.73:1;
– Upgraded suspension package;
– Shelby Performance cooling package with a new radiator, heat exchanger and aluminum cooling tanks;
– New spoked Shelby-designed 20-inch wheels and performance tires;
– Shelby / Borla exhaust system;
– Optional Shelby / Ford Racing 850 hp Whipple; supercharger or 850 hp Kenne Bell supercharger;
– Forged Shelby / Wildwood brakes with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rear calipers and cross drilled / vented rotors;
– Front brake cooling ducts and behind the door side scoops;
– Unique fiberglass hood featuring classic Shelby Super Snake design;
– Shelby signature Super Snake stripes in either satin black, gloss white, silver or blue;
– “Super Snake” vehicle badges, and unique CSM number interior and engine plates;
– “Shelby” lettering across the rear deck lid;
– Optional two tone leather interior;
– Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components;
The 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake post-title package starts at $28,995 for the 662 HP version and $39,995 for the 850 HP model, not including the base car.
Only 500 of these GT500 Super Snakes will be built!
The 1967 prototype revived in 2007
Starting in 2008, previous 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustangs could be sent to Carroll Shelby’s Special Performance Plant in Las Vegas to be rebuilt into a Super Snake, for an additional cost of $27,995. The Super Snake offered a 605 horse power 5.4-litre. A Kenne Bell twin-screw supercharged version with over 725 hp was also available and offered a 0–60 mph runs in 3.5 to 3.7 seconds. The Super Snake was inspired by the 1967 GT500 Super Snake, a car made by Carroll Shelby for Goodyear Tires.